Pages


"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.
Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34 NIV

Monday, April 1, 2013

Then and When

What was I worried about ten years ago? What was I concerned about this time last year? Why was I stressed last week?

It is hard to remember.

How did God provide for me ten years ago? Who did he send to comfort me last Spring? What blessing did he surprise me with merely a week ago?

Have I forgotten these as well?

It is hard to trust that God will comfort me and provide for me in the future if I cannot look back and see the pattern of his love, sewn straight over my heart.

This is why I write. This is why I reflect on and thank him for all he has done for me so far. And I look ahead with assurance that he will not stitch outside the lines.

His love started before I was even born. He knew sin would come into the world and made a plan to send a deliverer, his son Jesus, who suffered so I would not have to. He knew that I would need guidance so he sent the Holy Spirit and inspired wise men to write down his words for me to read someday.

He knew what each day of my life would hold before one of them came to be.

Through the years, he has revealed his love, truth, and grace to me in different ways. I see the pattern of his love through the people he has brought into my life, the unexpected blessings, and the amazing "coincidences".

Still, he holds me firmly in the palm of his hand. Why would I doubt that will continue until my final breath?

So, I look behind me, then glance ahead. And I remember: the almighty "I AM" will walk beside me in love until I meet him face to face.

You have searched me, Lord,
    and you know me.
You know when I sit and when I rise;
    you perceive my thoughts from afar.
You discern my going out and my lying down;
    you are familiar with all my ways.
Before a word is on my tongue
    you, Lord, know it completely.
You hem me in behind and before,
    and you lay your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

My frame was not hidden from you
    when I was made in the secret place,
    when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed body;
    all the days ordained for me were written in your book
    before one of them came to be.

(Psalm 139:1-6,15-16 NIV)

Jesus Christ is the same 
yesterday 
and today 
and forever.
(Hebrews 13:8 NIV)

Everlasting Lord, thank you for reminding me of how lovingly you have guided me through the years. Remind me on days when I am worried that you are always beside me and you always act in love. You took care of me then and will take care of me when...     Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment