Pages


"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.
Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34 NIV

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

I Can Do It Myself - maybe

"I can do it!"

She is three and wants to be in charge of the universe. Her mantra is repeated over and over to anyone trying to help her.

And I back away for a moment, watching a reflection of myself. Even though I do not loudly insist with an adorably pouty chin, my stubbornness mirrors hers.

I hide the words in my heart, whisper them heavenward.

"I can do it. I've got this. See how much I am doing?"

If I wait for her to struggle long enough, she will finally plead, "Help me, Mommy!" And of course I do. I've been waiting for her to ask, watching with patience and longing to offer what I have to ease her frustration.

See, I love to help her. It is a joy to show her the way. Yes, even if she's refused me seven times seven.

Is this how God feels about me?

Phrases from a well worn book draw me to truth. Put childish ways behind you. Put to death the deeds of the body. Come to me. Ask and it will be given. Be renewed day by day.

Rest. Repeat. .

Try on my own.
Fail.
Let him help.
Watch in awe as an old dream dies and a new one is born.

I am thankful he is always only a "Help!" away.

Keep on asking and it will be given you; keep on seeking and you will find; keep on knocking [reverently] and [the door] will be opened to you. (Matthew 7:7 AMP)

Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. (2 Corinthians 4:16 NIV)

God, may I turn to you instead of trust my own ability. May I see the freedom in letting go. May I unclench my fist so that you can take what little I have and give it new life. Amen.



2 comments:

  1. So good! I'm praying that prayer with you & for myself. I love the simple but wonderful truths here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cynthia. Sometimes the simplest truths are the easiest to miss.

    ReplyDelete