Pages


"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.
Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34 NIV

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

God, Why?

They had witnessed the mightiest of miracles with water days before. Now, the Israelites were complaining because there was nothing for them to eat or drink. It was the first instance of grumbling in what would turn out to be decades of discontentment.

So Moses and Aaron said to all the Israelites, “In the evening you shall know that it was the Lord who brought you out of the land of Egypt, and in the morning you shall see the glory of the Lord, because he has heard your complaining against the Lord. For what are we, that you complain against us?” And Moses said, “When the Lord gives you meat to eat in the evening and your fill of bread in the morning, because the Lord has heard the complaining that you utter against him—what are we? Your complaining is not against us but against the Lord." (Exodus 16:6-8 NRSV)

Your complaining is against the Lord.

This phrase might as well have been in bold and underlined in my Bible. I don't always complain out loud, but grumbling in my heart happens more often than I'd like to admit. 

Why do I have to be the one to do this again? Why can't this be easier? Why do I have to deal with this now? 

What am I really saying? God, why me? God, why are you not changing things for me? God, why now?

It is nearly impossible to see the blessings God is giving me when I am too busy grumbling about what he has already given me. What if what I see as an area of complaint is actually a blessing in disguise?

While my kids learned about the Titanic this week, I read a story about a few crew members who arrived at the dock shortly after the boat left. They were frustrated and angry that they missed out on a few weeks worth of employment. Imagine how those feelings changed after reading the headlines a week later.

God is always at work in my life. He is using every situation to point me to truth. Instead of complaining about my circumstances, my eyes should be seeking out the blessings all around me.

If you search for good, you will find favor, but if you search for evil, it will find you! (Proverbs 11:27 NLT)


Lord, I am sorry I have been complaining against you. You know what I need, when I need it. Help me to look for the positive ways you are moving all around me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment