Pages


"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.
Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34 NIV

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Gazing at Myself

I miss them a lot - people I could have helped but didn't. Individuals who are in need, and like the first two characters in the Good Samaritan story, I walk around.

*Gasp*

Truth from two thousand years ago actually applies to my everyday life. It hurts to learn I am often compassionless. (Yes, I am aware that is not a word. But, it should be.)

Why do I walk by? My eyes are not searching to meet the needs of others. They are too busy looking in the mirror. My gaze is steadily focused on me when I worry. Everyone else moves to the periphery, out of focus and ignored.

This is not what God desires. This is not what I want either. At least, in my head it's what I say I do not want. But the heart - the heart and the time and the effort and the money speak true intentions the loudest.

What do I actually miss when I spend my time looking at my own reflection? I miss the broadening of my world view. I miss the blessings I could receive from helping others.

I miss the chance to be the hands and feet of Jesus. I miss love in it's purest form.

Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. (James 1:27 NIV)

What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. (James 2:14-17 NIV)

 
Creator of compassion, forgive me for my lack thereof. I know my gaze needs to shift from me to others countless times each day. Please guide me gently back to showing others the kind of love you show me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment