Pages


"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.
Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34 NIV

Friday, July 27, 2012

Heaven in the Messy Moments

     They were embracing life; I ran to get my camera. Two grinning boys in swim suits and a soggy sand box make an enjoyable summer mess. Just as much squealing accompanied the hosing off clean-up effort.



     They did not care what the neighbors thought about them. They were not worrying about what the rest of the day would hold. They did not even ask permission to jump in. They just jumped and laughed, fully present in the messy moment.

     The people brought children to Jesus, hoping he might touch them. The disciples shooed them off. But Jesus was irate and let them know it: "Don't push these children away. Don't ever get between them and me. These children are at the very center of life in the kingdom. Mark this: Unless you accept God's kingdom in the simplicity of a child, you'll never get in." Then, gathering the children up in his arms, he laid his hands of blessing on them. (Mark 10:13-16 MSG)

     Jesus says children are at the center of life in the kingdom of God. I expect there is going to be a lot of laughing, simple trusting, and embracing whatever is happening in the moment. Sounds like Heaven to me.

     Is it possible to live this way now? Can I join my children in throwing off any concern that hinders me and jumping with both feet into the adventure God has planned? Why do I need to complicate the present with regrets of the past or worries about the future?

     I choose to simply trust and embrace this messy life.

     Thank you, Lord, for giving me energetic children. Help me to learn from them the simple ways of enjoying life and trusting you.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment