Pages


"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.
Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34 NIV

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

A Fresh Start to the Day

The commercial was brilliant. Relaxing at a kitchen table, a man drank juice while discussing what his day would hold with the individuals who would (hours from now) cause him stress. News of a flat tire, an encounter with an annoying neighbor, and a missed deadline later in the day was met with a strangely positive response. How would he be able to face it all with a smile? He started his day with the right drink. Cue the catchy jingle and fade to black.

All it takes is starting the day with a drink of juice, huh? Wouldn't that be nice.

But what if all it takes is starting the day with a drink? A drink of pure living water.

When I connect with the very source of life first thing in the morning, I handle stress differently. When I gaze for a few moments at the face of sacrificial love, I face unexpected challenges with more patience. When I ponder the immense power he holds in his hands, I worry about what the day holds less and am able to rest in peace.

With the opportunity to change the course of my day in this way, do I always begin in worship? I wish I could say yes. I am learning to seek him first because I see things more from his perspective and react in a way that is honoring to him when I do.

Plus, it's cheaper than stocking up on fancy juice.


But I will sing of your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love; for you are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble. (Psalm 59:16 NIV)

Jesus answered her (the Samaritan woman), “If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water...  Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.” (John 4:10, 13-14 NIV)

He who believes in Me [who cleaves to and trusts in and relies on Me] as the Scripture has said, From his innermost being shall flow [continuously] springs and rivers of living water. (John 7:38 AMP)


Wonderful counselor, source of living water, thanks for the reminder of how important it is for me to start my day with you. I want to face the unexpected events of my day with a heart full of your love. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment