Pages


"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.
Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34 NIV

Sunday, January 1, 2012

The Only Resolution I Need

      I do not enjoy making resolutions for the new year. Rather, I have not been inclined to make them because I know I will not keep them. I try. I fail. Discouragement sets in as another year goes by. I struggle with most of the same issues I did before. There has to be a better way, I hope.
          
     From a quiet place inside I hear, "What if it is not about you doing anything, but about you allowing something?"

     What would happen if this year I simply allow my heart to be filled with love for Jesus and accept his love for me? One resolution - all I need. If I focus on this alone for the new year, more and more of my life will fall into place, the place where he wants it to be: immersed in him.

     I am not sure entirely what this looks like. I know it starts with acknowledging his presence from the moment I wake up in the morning. It continues with seeking guidance in my decisions throughout the day. It concludes with thankfulness for what he has done for me. And all the moments in between? They revolve around seeing his hand at work everywhere, delighting in his love for me through the things that stir my heart.

     Wake up again. Repeat.

     Could it possibly be that simple? Allow my heart to be filled with love for Jesus and accept his love for me. Yes, I feel the weight of doing more, being different, and changing behavior lifted


     Allow. Accept. I think I will try that this year.

  
     "For the eyes of the Lord range throughout the earth to strengthen those
      whose hearts are fully committed to him. (2 Chron. 16:9 NIV)

     "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God." (Matt. 5:8 NIV)

     Jesus. Jesus! Fill my heart with your love.  Open my eyes to see your love for me. Strengthen my heart as I walk boldly into a new year with you. Help me to keep my gaze focused on you instead of on my circumstances. You know what this year holds for me. Prepare my heart for the trials that are around the corner and out of sight. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Such a new and refreshing perspective on the beginning of a new year, Debbie. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete