Pages


"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.
Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34 NIV

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Conflict is Not a Four Letter Word

Conflict is not a four letter word, nor should it be avoided at any cost.
 
I spoke this week with a group of young moms about worry. Struggle in our lives has a purpose in our hearts, I said. I could see it in their eyes even as the phrase was leaving my lips - I'm not so sure about this. Does that mean I have to like it?
 
I've been pondering the good that can come from a situation where I might be tempted to worry? Good? Yes, good. Trouble causes me to slow down and sometimes pull over on the road I call my life. I can be going along at a decent pace, thank you very much, and suddenly: conflict. My thoughts are redirected and I don't usually like it. But here's the thing - sometimes I need it.
 
Change comes out of conflict. I'm not a huge fan of that either, but how else is God going to get me to move sometimes, or see things in a new way, or (gasp) venture out of my comfort zone? Here is what I am feeling led to do right now: thank God for conflict.
 
I know, I know, it's crazy. But, it's something I have not tried before. Plus there's that whole part in the Bible about giving thanks at all times. It doesn't exactly leave an escape clause for except for when life is really, really hard. So...
 
  • Thank you, God, that I am out of ideas for what to do about my son's disobedience.
                It has brought me to my knees over and over again, and we are seeking help
                from others who have walked this path before us.
  • Thank you, God, that my husband and I disagree about some big issues.
                It has caused us to look deeper at the communication patters we have formed
                over the last decade. And I am learning to share my heart more openly.
  • Thank you, God, for misunderstandings between friends.
                It has allowed me to practice forgiveness and grace.


My list could cover several more pages. As I think about each struggle that I am dealing with right now, I can see some sliver that God could use for good in my life if I allow him to. Perhaps speeding through life at my pace is not what is best for me. Perhaps.


Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 NIV)


So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. (Colossians 2:6-7 NIV)


Lord, I know there is a reason for what I am going through. I do not need to know the exact purpose even though I would like to most times. I trust that you are in control. Thank you for giving me road bumps as I journey through life. They force me to look to and rely on you more. Amen.





No comments:

Post a Comment