Pages


"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.
Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34 NIV

Monday, November 4, 2013

God is Patient Too


I found myself singing a catchy little tune to my children the other day. I don't remember who I learned it from, but it's been on the tip of my tongue many times over the years since having my sweet little babies. It goes something like this:

Be patient. Be patient. Don't be in such a hurry.
When you are impatient, you only start to worry.
Remember, remember that God is patient too.
And think of all the times that others had to wait for you.

Patience. It's something I don't pray for more of, right? Otherwise, I might have to be in situations where I need to exercise it. Oh, but why is it so hard?

Henri Nouwen suggests that the word patience means "a willingness to stay where we are and live out the situation to the full in the belief that something hidden there will manifest itself to us.”

Live out the situation to the full... hmmm. Accept what is, at the moment it is given. Accept that the one who gives the moment, knows what he is doing. Understand that every moment is an opportunity to learn.

Learn what, one might ask.

When I demonstrate patience, I realize that I have a choice of how I respond in any given situation. I learn how to show love even when I don't always "feel" love. I learn that the moment I am in is just as important as the moment I am trying to hurry toward.

When I am honest, I admit that most of my impatient moments can be traced back to poor planning on my part. Or, to a less than loving attitude as my baseline for the day.

Remember, remember that God is patient too.
Yes, and always loving.

Love is patient, love is kind. (1 Corinthians 13:4a NIV)

Whoever is patient has great understanding, but one who is quick-tempered displays folly. (Proverbs 14:29 NIV)

Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. (Romans 12:12 NIV)

Am I willing to stay where I am in order to find what is hidden: a wealth of understanding, valuable coins of love? I guess I'll find out the next time I am trying to rush out the door while little feet dawdle, shoeless after three promptings. 


God, thank you for being patient and loving with me. I ask for wisdom in my frustrating moments, so I may respond in love rather than impatience. Help me to see your orchestrated opportunities for growth. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment